Spiced Toffee Apple Cake Recipe
Makes: 1 loaf (serves 10)
Time: 55 minutes, plus cooling
Ingredients you’ll need:
For the Cake:
100ml (80g) sunflower oil
180ml plant-based milk
100g caster or coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
For the vegan toffee sauce:
40g coconut oil
60ml maple syrup
3 tbsp runny almond butter
A pinch of salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1. Make the vegan toffee sauce by melting together the coconut oil and maple syrup in a saucepan until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the almond butter, salt and cinnamon until smooth. Allow to cool and store in a glass jar. It will thicken as it cools. If it is too thick then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds, or if it is too runny then place it in the fridge.
2. For the cake, preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and line a regular-size loaf tin (10x20cm).
3. Chop one apple into small chunks and slice the other apple into thin slices.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
5. Sift the flour, cinnamon, mixed spice and baking powder into the wet mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the chopped apple.
6. Pour the batter into the lined tin, smooth over the top and arrange the sliced apple on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean and it is golden – you may need to cover it with foil if the apple slices are catching.
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and cooling fully on a wire rack.
8. Serve drizzled with the vegan toffee sauce. Store in an airtight container.
Don’t forget to share your snaps with us using #LOVETROPIC if you give this recipe a try!